Community Resource Centres (CRCs) are friendly, locally owned and operated service and information centres.
The Community Resource Network will deliver quality social, business and economic outcomes to support sustainable growth in regional communities.
We will build strong partnerships and develop and as innovative, responsive and connected Network.
For the Yongergnow-Ongerup Community Resource Centre to be a hub for the community providing services, education and training while emphasizing conservation of the environment as its point of difference in the Western Australian Community Resource Network.
To provide the Ongerup district with advanced technology facilities which will stimulate the effective and creative use of telecommunications and computer technology for community, education, business, social and cultural development.
To partner with Yongergnow Australian Malleefowl Centre, pooling resources, facilities and volunteers to educate and promote the community and general public on all aspects of the natural world, emphasizing conservation and knowledge.
|Rebecca Brady – Centre Manager & Finance Officer
Dimity McMorran – Kitchen Manager
Stevi Filipowski – Trainee
Elisa Santina – Trainee
Viktorija Kokina – Casual
Brittnee Knill – Casual
|Roz Thompson – Chairperson
Melissa Savage – Vice Chairperson
Melissa Hawkins – Secretary
Jane Campbell – Treasurer
The Ongerup area was first explored by Surveyor General John Septimus Roe in 1848. The first settlers, the Moir family, took up land along the Warperup Creek in 1870.
In 1910 the land was subdivided into 405 hectare (1,000 acre) blocks. The township of Ongerup was gazetted in 1912 and land clearing and settlement increased with the opening of the railway in 1913. The Great War and years of drought brought a halt to Government assistance and many farms were abandoned. During the years of the depression (1930s), hunting kangaroos for skins and stripping mallet (a type of eucalypt) bark, which was sent overseas to be used for tanning, provided a source of income. The railway line was closed in 1957.
In 2007, the community–owned and operated Yongergnow Australian Malleefowl Centre was opened after several years of planning.
In 2008, the Telecentre moved to the Yongergnow premises.
In 2010, the Ongerup District Telecentre was rebranded into Yongergnow-Ongerup Community Resource Centre.